zoe did the cheerleading clinic again this year. john paul and i decided this would be a good time to divide and conquer, since she would be cheering right around bedtime. i went to one of her practices, so john paul got to go the night of the game. he loaded up zoe and jakob and the freshly charged video camera, and off they went. when he got home, he claimed he didn't record any of the cheers or dance because the video camera was dead. bummer. but he assured me that (just like last year) she was the cutest one out there. but still, i was disappointed i didn't get to see it. but sometimes, on sunday afternoons, we watch home movies. and when i put the most recent disc in, i discovered about 15 minutes of people's feet...on bleachers...at what appeared to be a high school football game. just sayin'.
Friday, October 30, 2009
look who was on the front page of the paper!! the children's museum had a "mother/son pirate adventure" and jakob and i tore it up. yes, i am wearing a skull and crossbones bandana on my head. yes, i have a pirate printed tee shirt on. and yes, those are giant hoop earrings i am wearing. (i haven't worn earrings for about 12 years. i gave them to zoe. she's been begging for giant hoops. there you go.) not exactly the picture i would choose to have plastered on the front page, but this is a small town. it's not like any more than 9,000 people saw it...and now all of you.
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
4 days after jakob turned 7, birdie turned 4. we let her be in charge of every aspect of her party. she's 4, now. she's pretty responsible. so riley chose the decorations:
- purple streamers
pink and purple balloons
- purple tablecloth, purple plates, purple cups
- purple flowers
she chose her cake and helped decorate it:
- barbie cake with a purple dress.
- purple flowers on the bottom.
- sugar "happy birthday" letters
she chose the agenda:
- decorate bags (to hold pinata candy).
- run around and laugh and scream
- whack the pinata (a pink and purple unicorn we got for $2 at goodwill).
- get upset that your sparkly little unicorn friend has been hung in a tree and beaten with sticks and is now on the ground being torn apart.
- make candy necklaces and bracelets.
- giggle giggle giggle.
- open presents. riley's friends (or their mommies) must know her really well. she got a disney princess cd player, fancy dress up shoes, make up, and tons of jewelry.
- dress up.
- put brand new make up on anyone who will sit still.
- dance to princess music.
- eat purple barbie cake.
- scream with delight when we see that even the inside of the cake is purple.
- stick sugar letters on cheeks.
- beg to do it all again tomorrow.
- when he wakes up in the morning, he is excited and ready to go.
- he is sincerely concerned about all living things (and cartoon characters, cg beings, and stuffed animals), hoping they are not hungry, or cold, or lonely.
- he is a great hugger.
- he's happy eating the exact same thing for lunch every day of his little life.
- his teacher insists that he is a perfect student. not caring as much about grades or being "the smartest" (although he is very smart) as he does about being obedient and kind and helpful.
- he adores his family.
- if you give that boy a job, he will go to the ends of the earth to accomplish it.
happy birthday, jakob!! i'm so happy you are in our family. you make us so happy.